header-left
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 170209    Version: 0 Name:
Type: Resolution Status: ADOPTED
File created: 3/2/2017 In control: CITY COUNCIL
On agenda: Final action: 3/2/2017
Title: Honoring Cheyney University of Pennsylvania on the Occasion of its 180th Founders Day celebration.
Sponsors: Councilmember Blackwell, Councilmember Green, Councilmember Bass, Councilmember Parker, Councilmember Reynolds Brown, Councilmember Domb, Councilmember Gym, Councilmember Quiñones Sánchez, Councilmember Jones, Councilmember Squilla, Councilmember Greenlee, Councilmember Oh, Councilmember Johnson, Councilmember Henon
Attachments: 1. Signature17020900.pdf
Title
Honoring Cheyney University of Pennsylvania on the Occasion of its 180th Founders Day celebration.

Body
WHEREAS, Cheyney University was founded as the African Institute on February 25, 1837, through the bequest of Quaker philanthropist Richard Humphries, who envisioned an institution "to instruct the descendants of the African race in school learning, in the various branches of the mechanic arts, trades and agriculture, in order to prepare and fit and qualify them to act as teachers"; and

WHEREAS, The institution that would later become Cheyney University, originally known as the Institute for Colored Youth, operated at various locations in and around the City of Philadelphia until 1902, when its Board of Managers recommended the purchase of George Cheyney's farm at Cheyney Station, roughly 25 miles west of Philadelphia; and

WHEREAS, In 1914, after a suggestion by newly-hired President Leslie Pinckney Hill that its name should better reflect the nature of the school and the purpose of its work, the school's name was officially changed to Cheyney Training School for Teachers; and

WHEREAS, In 1922, after more than eight decades under the direction of a Quaker Board of Managers, Cheyney was purchased by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for $75,000; and

WHEREAS, In 1930, Pennsylvania's Council of Education recommended an extension of the school's curricula, leading to the first awarding of baccalaureate degrees in 1932; and

WHEREAS, In 1951, following the recommendation of the Middle States Association, Cheyney Training School for Teachers became Cheyney State Teachers College, and by legislative act in 1959, the school's name was changed yet again, this time to Cheyney State College; and

WHEREAS, The Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education was established by statute on July 1, 1983, and by joining the System as a charter member, Cheyney State College became Cheyney University of Pennsylvania; and

WHEREAS, Cheyney University has...

Click here for full text