header-left
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 180087    Version: 0 Name:
Type: Resolution Status: ADOPTED
File created: 2/1/2018 In control: CITY COUNCIL
On agenda: Final action: 2/1/2018
Title: Recognizing and honoring The Northeast Baptist Church on their 60th Anniversary.
Sponsors: Councilmember Quiñones Sánchez, Councilmember Green, Councilmember Greenlee, Councilmember Taubenberger, Councilmember Jones, Councilmember Oh, Councilmember Henon, Councilmember Domb, Councilmember Parker, Councilmember Bass, Councilmember Gym, Councilmember Blackwell, Councilmember Reynolds Brown, Councilmember Johnson, Councilmember Squilla, Councilmember O'Neill
Attachments: 1. Signature18008700.pdf
Title
Recognizing and honoring The Northeast Baptist Church on their 60th Anniversary.

Body
WHEREAS, As a result of an election held in the Second Baptist Church of Frankford, thirty-five of its members voted to organize a Baptist Church. As a result of this election, The Northeast Baptist Church started on March 17, 1958 in the home of Reverend William H. Anderson; and

WHEREAS, When Reverend Anderson was confined to the Episcopal Hospital shortly after, he advised them against making a panicked decision and suggested that they give themselves a cooling off period, after which they could return to the Second Baptist Church and support it fully; and

WHEREAS, Several weeks later, Rev. Anderson was released from the hospital and further advised the group against permanent organization. However, when it was noticed that outside agitators sought to destroy this group, which had grown to 262, and was holding worship services in Strange's Hall, Sunday, April 21, 1958, Mrs. Katherine Javis made a motion that the group become a regularly organized Baptist Church; and

WHEREAS, Reverend Anderson, who made this his first visit to the Church, put forth the motion which received a volley of 'seconds'. A business meeting was called for May 12, 1958 at which time the Church was organized and Reverend William H. Anderson was called to the pastorate; and

WHEREAS, On June 4, 1958, the Pennsylvania Baptist Association was invited to meet in the Orthodox Street Methodist Church to recognize the Northeast Baptist Church. From this day on, the Northeast Baptist Church, under the leadership of Reverend Anderson, went about the business of winning souls for Christ; and

WHEREAS, In the Church's 10th year, it had begun to make 'Herculean and spectacular growth economically, physically and spiritually. A complex of buildings that are, today, valued at just under one million dollars were built. The work was done largely by the men of the Church, along with the pastor; a...

Click here for full text