header-left
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 190567    Version: 0 Name:
Type: Resolution Status: ADOPTED
File created: 6/13/2019 In control: CITY COUNCIL
On agenda: Final action: 6/20/2019
Title: Also naming the 1400 Block of South 50th Street "Rev. Charles Gregory Way", in honor of the legacy of Rev. Gregory, the founder of the Mount Zion Baptist Church, for his contributions to his community.
Sponsors: Councilmember Blackwell, Councilmember Green, Councilmember Parker, Councilmember Taubenberger, Councilmember Greenlee, Councilmember Domb, Councilmember Oh, Councilmember Gym, Council President Clarke, Councilmember Squilla, Councilmember O'Neill, Councilmember Bass, Councilmember Quiñones Sánchez, Councilmember Reynolds Brown, Councilmember Johnson
Attachments: 1. Resolution No. 19056700, 2. Signature19056700
Title
Also naming the 1400 Block of South 50th Street "Rev. Charles Gregory Way", in honor of the legacy of Rev. Gregory, the founder of the Mount Zion Baptist Church, for his contributions to his community.
Body
WHEREAS, Revered Charles Wallace Gregory was born in Williams Borough, North Carolina. In 1901, He came to the Greater Philadelphia Area. By 1913, he and his wife, Mrs. Elizabeth M. Gregory, moved to the City; and

WHEREAS, On December 31, 1913, with three other Christian ladies, Mount Zion Baptist Church was started on South Markoe Street in the Gregory home. In May 1914, the church was organized. In 1915, Reverend Gregory was ordained; and

WHEREAS, In November 1914, the church moved to 47th and Linmore Streets, and in January 1922, the church established itself at its present place of worship, 1411 S. 50th Street. Under the leadership of Reverend Gregory, Mount Zion grew, prospered, and many souls were saved; and

WHEREAS, Reverend Gregory always put the needs of Mount Zion first and never wanted any great display or special honor for himself. In 1945, he received his Doctorate of Divinity but preferred to be called Brother Gregory rather than Dr. Gregory; and

WHEREAS, Reverend Gregory was a member of the Board of Directors of Mercy Douglass Hospital for twenty years. Additionally, he was one of the founders of the Pennsylvania Baptist Association. He served as Treasurer for a number of years and was President Emeritus after having served as its President for ten years. He also served as Treasurer of the Foreign Mission Board of the National Baptist Convention for twenty three years; and

WHEREAS, Reverend Gregory had dreams of building a new church as needs for expansions were a great demand. In 1949, a $90,000 building campaign was started. On November 17, 1954, God called Reverend Gregory home before his dream came to fruition; now therefore, be it

RESOLVED, That the Philadelphia City Council hereby also names the 1400 Block of South...

Click here for full text